Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The End of Traditional Photography?


For being such a young person (23), I have somehow managed to stay remarkably behind the times when it comes to technology. I, Loren Plunkett, do not own a smart phone, have no idea how to use Instagram, and honestly, couldn't even figure out how to get to the Internet on my roommate's Mac. Pathetic, I know.

My complete lack of technological prowess probably has something to do with my surprise at some statistics that my museum's director recently showed me:

Camera phones are dominating in the photography world and quickly replacing point-and-shoot cameras so much so that well-known companies like Kodak are filing for bankruptcy. As much as 3,500 photos are being uploaded to Facebook each second, and 300 million photos are added every day, as of March 2012.

  • What do you think this could mean for traditional photography? 
  • Is this just another trend that will level out with time or will camera phones replace point-and-shoot cameras entirely? 
  • Do you think this change in technology will affect fine art photography?

Write me back. I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

For more more statistics and colorful graphics, follow this link:

http://mashable.com/2012/06/14/mobile-photography-infographic/

~Loren from Curatorial

6 comments:

  1. There is lots going on in the world of mobile photography, from the traditional art photography perspective. Check out eyephonography (http://eyephoneography.com/) as an example of the way mobile is affecting "fine" arts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an incredible idea! I only wish it were closer than Spain so I could visit. Thank you for posting that, Darren.

      Delete
  2. Bullet point 1: Camera phones will add to "traditional" photography, just like every improvement or change if you will has done for any of the past/current image capturing devices.
    Bullet point 2: Camera phones may replace point and shoot cameras once they catch up with easy to use lens/media storage. Presently, I would submit the camera phone supplements either the point and shoot or full size camera. I use my camera phone frequently to supplement my inspection work.
    Bullet point 3: Camera phone images already affect fine art photography. Tony Guinn did an excellent show of camera phone images several months ago. There are some size limits to the prints due to file size, however the images he produced and printed were great. For me fine art photography has a lot to do with the quality and type of print that is being produced. I would submit that as camera phone image capture improves so will the quality of the prints and as such adds to the body of fine art photography work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Tom. I think that camera phones will add to "traditional" photography. I think the accessibility of mobile photography encourages people to experiment with art that may not have done so before. It makes photography and other art mediums more relatable because more people are developing their understanding of color and composition and what makes an interesting shot.

    This post inspired me to google-search mobile photography. I found a really fascinating site called The Mobile Photo Awards. It is the world's largest open gallery call and competition for mobile photography and art. Anyone can submit their work for a small fee, and it's mission is to promote mobile photography as art and bring it into the public eye.

    Their blog, which I found particularly interesting, features a weekly showcase, photo essays, contests, and artist highlights.
    http://the-mpas.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loren,
    If you hop on Flipboard under the "Photos and Design" tab there is a section called "iPhoneogaphy" that can be an interesting read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is another great site sent to me by my friend and colleague, Darren Milligan: http://mobilephotogroup.com/index.html

    From their home page:

    "Established in 2011, Mobile Photo Group is an international collective of mobile photographers dedicated to promoting their work and presenting mobile photography as an important and evolving form of photography.

    The Mobile Photo Group (MPG) was founded on the sole principal that mobile photography is a viable and ever-evolving form of photography. Our mission is to create compelling photographs with a mobile device.

    With a unified vision and a dedicated passion, MPG photographers capture their views on the world and share their stories -- as seen through their mobile devices -- documenting the people, the events, the landscapes, the issues and the photojournalistic opportunities they encounter."

    ReplyDelete